As the season closes, I’d like to take this opportunity to exercise my presidential prerogative and deliver an “Oscar awards” thank-you to many of the behind-the-scenes individuals; if I’ve forgotten someone, I apologize.
On behalf of the Board, heartfelt thanks to:
- the fulltime, bar, ice and IT support staff for their unwavering commitment. Given the challenges of this season (late start, new GM search, etc.), this group of dedicated and, more admirably, friendly individuals made this a truly enjoyable curling season.
- to the league conveners and bonspiel organizers who successfully ran so many wonderful leagues and events this shortened season; won’t be able to forget being serenaded by Monday Night karaoke during the Board meetings.
- to the Youth and Learn 2 Curl instructors whose efforts have revitalized and attracted many new enthusiastic members to the Club as it recovers from the pandemic shutdowns.
- the Renovations and Finance committees, who, through their dedication, completed the floor renovation and continue their work this off-season to complete the outstanding items.
- the HR Committee, and in particular our non-Board volunteer, Shari Angle, who rose to the occasion and made OCC fortunate enough to attract, select and hire Ian Tetley as the new GM.
- the newly formed Accessibility and Governance Committees for their ongoing work to ensure the Club’s compliance to ever changing provincial laws & regulations.
- And most of all, to you the members without whom this season’s successes wouldn’t have been possible. The pandemic years saw membership fall to around 660 but this year, over 170 new and post-pandemic curlers joined or returned to the Club. This commitment to the game, and more importantly, to the Club has highlighted the sense of community each of you share and has proven to the staff & volunteers that their efforts have been worthwhile and well received.
In closing and on behalf of the Board, we wish you a happy off-season and look forward to seeing you next season. For those who can’t wait until October, Summer League has returned (spoiler – the Club’s rocks are being reprofiled during the off-season, so Summer League gives you an opportunity to practice with them before the start of the regular season).